From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 18:10:26 -0700
I went to Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks on the eastside of Cleveland today from 10:10am to 3:50pm.  The best bird was the female Long-tailed Duck that I found in front of Villa Angela at 10:35am.  Mark Anderson showed up 2-1/2 hours later and then Jeanne Hrenko came.  The new birds I saw today were just the Barn Swallows and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.  Mark sent me an email last night that he had found a RC Kinglet at 4:30pm yesterday also.  Here are a few birds that were found:

Long-tailed Duck 1 female (this bird was the only bird near the beach and was between the beach and rock piles but very close to shore and could of easily been missed.  Was few hundred ft west of bathhouse sleeping almost the entire time.  In fact, it was hard to tell when I first saw it because it had its head tucked in behind it and could only see a black band near its neck.  Every once and a while it would come out of the water, flap its wings, look around and go back sleeping.  It would sometimes have it eye slightly cracked open and sometimes completely shut so it knew I was following it along the beach but completely ignored me.  It was sometimes 22" from shore (me).  After 1/2 hour it started to move closer to the pier down from bathhouse and feed and I believe it went out to the lake.  I watched it for 1/2 hour from 10:35 to 11:05am and left as nobody else came.

Pied-billed Grebe 1
Turkey Vultures groups of 4-5 seen throughout the day
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers 6
Northern Flickers 10 (more in WW)
Eastern Phoebe at least 4
Barn Swallows - small number seen and heard closer to lake
Brown Creepers 5
Carolina Wren 1 (heard near library & lakeshore blvd)
Golden-crowned Kinglets ~ 15
Ruby-crowned Kinglets 3
Hermit Thrush 1 (seen by Mark & Jeanne as I walked to get a drink at KFC - as I has overdressed today, hot and thirsty
Eastern Towhee 2-3
Chipping Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 3 (mark also had 4)
Fox Sparrows  ~10
Song Sparrows 10+
Also saw four species of butterflies: not sure of name of little blue one I believe 1)Spring Azure, 5-6 Eastern Commas, 1 Mourning Cloak, 1 Cabbage White.

I stopped at Sims Park in Euclid from 4:15 to 4:55pm.  Found:
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Flickers 7 (on bluff east end)
Ruby-crowned Kinglets 2
Eastern Bluebirds 2 (don't think there are bluebird boxes here)
Eastern Towhee 1
Chipping Sparrow 1
Fox Sparrow 1
Brown Thrasher 2