OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:21:23 -0700
Sorry for the delayed post but I didn't want my computer to get fried by lightning last night.

  We decided to visit Sandy Ridge Reservation in Lorain County yesterday afternoon in hopes that the morning storm brought in some new arrivals.  From talking to people coming out as we were going in, it seems that the weather caused most of the shorebirds to skip town instead.  However, between 4:45 till 6:00 PM we were treated to the sight of two Black Terns flying up and down and skimming the length of the east pond (on your left if you keep going straight as you come out of the woods).  Both were in molting plumage, a lot of mottled black and white on the head and breast.  A Peterson guide I have shows the best depiction.

  Still some shorebirds left, too.  Don't know how it compares to the day before, but we had

  Semipalmated Plover
  Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs