OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:26:48 -0800
Thanks to everyone that replied to my last post with possible vulture locations!  I ended up going to Oxford & Houston Woods on Saturday (headed that direction anyway) and did see a TUVU.  I was at 103, but I think it was decided that trumpeter & domestic muscovy could not be counted, so I'm down to 101 (let me know if that is not the case!).  I noted in my last post that John Price & I saw an odd goose at Melvin that might be some sort of Ross hybrid.  I went back to Melvin yesterday and got some pictures of the "mystery goose" along with some shots of snow geese, ross geese, and greater white-fronted geese (the last was near East Fork, not at Melvin).  Please let me know if you have any thoughts on what the "mystery goose" could be!  Photos are here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=14294&id=1396450923&saved#/album.php?aid=14294&id=1396450923&ref=nf
If you are not on facebook and would like to see the photos, e-mail me and I can post them elsewhere.  I also saw a very odd duck downstream of Grigg's dam on Friday afternoon.  It was slightly smaller than a mallard with caramel and white variegated plumage (no black at all).  Maybe it was some type of leucistic female mallard or other female?  Someone suggested a mallard-domestic hybrid but those always seem to be larger, not smaller than your typical mallard.  I didn't have my camera on me, but if anyone else observed this duck please let me know what you think it could be.

I am planning a trip to Harlingen TX in a few weeks and have a copy of the Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail southern map, but there are so many places listed I can't decide where to go.  I only have 4 days and would appreciate any insight on where to focus my efforts.  Some of the life birds I would love to see include: green and ringed kingfisher, brown and green jay, and scissortail flycatcher (basically the local specialties).  Anything in addition to that would be a bonus.  Please respond directly to me, since I know that type of info isn't the main focus of this listserve.  THANKS!

This was my first year to try for a January 100 and it was incedibly fun!  I wouldn't have been able to do it without all the helpful information on this listserve- you guys are GREAT!

Cheers,
Heather