OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Ken Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:41:23 -0500
After reading Ruth Richard's post yesterday, Jason Simonis and I decided
to head up that way this morning. Some of the highlights were:

S.E. corner of Young Rd. and Rt. 4 in Huron Co.
     Northern Pintails
     13 Tundra Swans
     4 Snow Geese

N.W. corner of Bonham Rd. and Wales Corners Rd. N.W. of Bellvue in
Sandusky Co.
     Many Northern Pintails
     American Widgeons
     Ring-necked Ducks
     101 Tundra Swans

Riddle Rd. south of U.S. 20 north of railroad tracks (road south of there
under water)  This is in the same general area as above.
     25 Tundra Swans
     Managed to find some  female Cowbirds and a couple of Rusty
     Blackbirds in a large flock of Red-wings and Common Grackles

Castalia Pond
     The Brant was not seen.  There was a pair of Buffleheads oon the pond

Resthaven Wildlife Area
     Not much in the way of waterfowl

N.W. corner of Heywood and Northwest Rd.
     22 Tundra Swans flying overhead.

Killdeer Plains Wildllife Area
     Pond on T108--51 Tundra Swans,Northern Pintails and Widgeons
     Ponds on T68--Many Pintails and American Widgeon
     1 Snow Goose
     1 Short-earaed Owl flying n. of T68 and e. of those ponds (@ 3:15)
     1 Red-headed Woodpecker on w.side of T123 in the tall dead trees.
     4 Northern Harriers in different areas

There could have been some Trumpeter Swan in with some of the Tundra's.
We saw other misc. waterfowl.  We did not look for the Long-eared Owls.

Ken Shepherd