OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2017

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2017 10:00:05 -0400
Observers in the mid-western states are reporting larger-than-usual
incursions of white-winged crossbills and fewer red crossbills from
Indiana to Oklahoma recently. Thus far I haven't heard anything about
crossbills in Ohio at the same latitude. These birds are readily found
if they're around, so I imagine we'll be getting our customary trickle
soon, perhaps more. Maybe we should blame Lake Erie.
        Is there any work that shows that crossbills are not happy about
crossing large bodies of water when they move south? On occasions I have
seen a few exhausted and scraggy-looking crossbills along Lake Erie
beaches, and more regularly inland (I've seen decent numbers several
times in Columbus, and recall having them within arm's length in
hemlocks off the deck in my back yard). I don't recall often seeing
mixed-species flocks in Ohio. As winter moves on this year, it might be
well worth being alert for them; the most productive habitats have been
conifers in large old cemeteries.
Bill Whan
Columbus