OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:44:11 -0400
Greetings!

Today, Brad Sparks and I spent a good chunk of the morning in Wood
County, looking for the Northern Shrike that had been reported along
Freyman Road just SW of Cygnet. After a while spent searching, we did
finally find the shrike in some bushy habitat  north of Freyman Road
between Liberty Hi and Wingston roads. In keeping with the letter S
theme, we also had a large flock of about 30 Pine Siskins on the
multi-purpose path just west of Rudolph road and south of Freyman. Also,
we observed through spotting scopes a high-flying flock of Snow Geese,
estimated at 75 in number. The majority were blue-morph geese, at least
60% of the total flock. The birds were flying high in the air and headed
west when we spotted them.  To get to the general area of the shrike,
take I-75 to the Cygnet exit, take Cygnet road west, turn south at
Rudolph, and west at Freyman. Start looking in the tops of the shrubs
and hawthorns along the road. Keep an ear out for the siskins - they
were noisy.

After spending a couple hours in Wood County, we headed south to check
out some reservoirs, and the birding goodness fell off tremendously. At
Findlay Reservoir, we had 2 Common Loons, a Red-breasted Merganser, 3
Hooded Mergansers, 2 Eared Grebes, 1 Pied-billed Grebe, and the usual
gulls. The Lima reservoirs had about eight hundred Ruddy Ducks but
little else in the way of waterfowl. Bonaparte's Gulls were present as
well as the usual Ring-billed Gulls. Grand Lake St. Mary was nearly
lifeless, with a few Mallards, Canada Geese, Ring-billed Gulls, and
Bonaparte's Gulls.

Andy Sewell

Columbus, Ohio

Wood County List: