OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Barb Hohman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb Hohman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:24:34 -0500
The Mountwood Bird Club had a good day today going down the Ohio side of the Ohio River from Belpre to the Bellville Lock and Dam.  On our way down to meet the group, my husband Neal and I saw 3 Greater Scaup in the Muskingum River near where OH Rt 60 and OH RT 821 intersect, between Marietta and Devola.  We then saw 3 Common Mergansers just where Becky Wright  reported them yesterday, on Blue Knob Rd (aka Washington Co. 10).  They were accompanied by several Ring-necked Ducks.  After we met up with the rest of the club, we headed down the river seeing the following birds:

 Highlights:

    **Long-tailed Duck - 1 - above the Belleville Lock & Dam
     *Peregrine Falcon - 2 - a pair chasing Rock Pigeons above and around the
Belpre-Parkersburg free bridge and railroad bridge.
      *Bald Eagle - 2 - one adult and one second year
      American Black Duck - 8
      Northern Pintail - 2
      Canvasback - 8
      Redhead - 1
      Lesser Scaup - 2
      Scaup - sp. - 6
      Bufflehead - 4
     *Common Goldeneye - 7
      Hooded Merganser
      Ruddy Duck - 17
      American Coot - 2
      Ring-billed Gull - 65
      Herring gull - 10
      *Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1 a really nice male
      *Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
      *Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
      *Brown-headed Cowbird - 2
      Red-winged Blackbird - 2