From:
Chris Spagnoli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Spagnoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 13:04:09 -0400
Apologies for the belated post - I sent this yesterday from my hotmail
account, but no matter how many times I try to set it up, the listserv
simply will not accept posts from that account.

As predicted and reported by Kenn Kaufman, numbers remained good and
variety was excellent at Magee and Ottawa yesterday.  Highlights for me
were ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER and, at long last, YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD.

At Magee, thrushes and even sparrows were almost nonexistent, but good
numbers of warblers and vireos were around.  The warbler list (22
species) from this birder's perspective:

American redstart
Bay-breasted
Blackburnian (3 or more)
Black-and-white
Black-throated blue
Black-throated green
Blackpoll (1)
Canada (2)
Cape May (3 or more)
Chestnut-sided
Common yellowthroat
Magnolia
Mourning (4 or more)
Nashville (1)
Northern parula
Northern waterthrush
ORANGE-CROWNED (1)
Ovenbird (only 1)
Palm (only 1)
Wilson's
Yellow
Yellow-rumped

I was in the company of another birder when I saw a female Oporornis and
at the boardwalk we made the tentative conclusion it was a Connecticut,
but upon review I have decided it was more likely a mourning warbler
based on the wash of yellow on the throat.  It seems late for it to be
holding winter plumage, though.

Vireos included many warbling and a few red-eyed; I heard reports of
blue-headed and yellow-throated as well.

Also at the boardwalk was a late winter wren; not much else of note
other than the by-now-usual obliging woodcocks.

After Magee I went over to the Ottawa Auto Tour, which yesterday had the
character of a traffic jam.  It was worth it, however, as at least two
adult male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS were providing quite a show in their
usual location.  Beautiful birds, and my number one nemesis laid to
rest!

Good birding.

Chris Spagnoli
Lakewood, Ohio