OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2017

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 13:05:36 +0000
The tenth annual Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary Big Sit, held this past Sunday at the observation deck, ended as a successful day of birding. The weather was nearly perfect, 65 degrees and no rain until the end of the event. Throughout the day we had 24 participants hailing from Mahoning, Stark, Ashtabula, Carroll, and Trumbull Counties, with some dedicated birders present for the entire thirteen hours. The die-hard contributors that stayed the duration until the rain came at about 6:30PM were, in order of their morning arrival; John Petruzzi, Shaun O'Neill, Jeff Harvey, Ben Morrison, myself, Shari Jackson, and my wife Denise. The average count circle total for the previous nine years was 69, also our 2017 total. In years past, 82 was the highest count, and 61 the lowest count. Four species that we recorded at The Sanctuary during the count, but outside the count circle were; Ruddy Duck, Black Crowned Night-Heron, Sora, and Palm Warbler. An amazing sight in late afternoon, was the sky blackening with Chimney Swifts. At the start of the day was Barred Owl and at the end of the day, the last bird was a Great Horned Owl. A big thanks goes out to all the other participants, and to the staff of Mill Creek Metroparks for providing the site, their support, the picnic table, and the port-a-john. The following is the list of the birds we recorded.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County resident

Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary (restricted access), Mahoning, Ohio, US
Oct 8, 2017 5:20AM - 6:30 PM
Comments: I was the list compiler while participating in The 2017 Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary Big Sit. Some of the 24 participants came and went, while others stayed for the entire bird count. This e-bird list is from the observation deck and other parts of The Sanctuary, and not just The Big Sit List, which was 69 species. There were no different bird species documented during the nocturnal hours versus the daylight hours.
73 species

Canada Goose  185
Wood Duck  20
Blue-winged Teal  14