OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:07:55 -0500
On Monday, January 12, I visited Camp Dennison gravel pits after work
and got to see the late arriving Ross's Goose with the second flock of
arriving Canada Geese at about 5:30 pm.  The ROGO is number 87.

I started Saturday, January 17 at Miami Whitewater on Baughman Road at
about 8:30 am.  As I was nearing the gravel parking lot, the swirling
flock of Horned Larks landed in front of me on the side of the road.
There were three Lapland Longspurs that landed very close to the road.
In addition, there was at least one Snow Bunting in this flock.  I
stayed to see if the Sandhill Crane, previously reported, was still
present, but did not see it.  I drove by the Fort Miami power plant near
Shawnee Lookout, but did not find a Peregrine Falcon, which was probably
out hunting.  Lapland Longspur is number 88 for January 2009.

I stopped at the West Carrollton gravel pits, southwest of Dayton, and
found the previously reported Greater White-fronted Geese.  The best
viewing point at about 12:30 pm, was outside of the third yellow gate
coming form the east from west Carrollton along Farmersville W
Carrollton Road.  At first I found one, two more and then finally five
GWFG.  There was a small hole in the ice of open water with Canada
Geese, and assorted ducks swimming around.  This was surrounded by a
heavy concentration of geese and other waterfowl huddled on the ice.
The GWFG sometimes had their heads down so it was hard to pick them out
until they lifted their heads.  GWFG is number 89.

I headed to Greenlawn Cemetery, which is the closest location for
crossbills.  I arrived at The Pit and the feeders, where I met Troy
Shively, who pointed out that the Red-breasted Nuthatch was flying into
the feeders, taking a seed to a nearby cedar tree and then returning.
Shortly, after Troy's statement the RBNU appeared at the feeder and
returned to the cedar tree.  RBNU is number 90.  Troy also had recently
seen the WWCR's in nearby section 77, so he led the way there.  There
were at least three stunning breeding plumage males in a group with
females or immature birds.  While the birds were in the hemlock tree
feeding, Troy estimated about 8 birds before leaving.  However, a few
minutes later, the WWCR's began making their twittering calls and flew
from the hemlock to the top of a nearby spruce.  I was surprised that
there were at least 12 birds in the flock!  These birds are very quiet
and hard to see while feeding.  They were mostly inside the hemlock
tree, perhaps to avoid detection by predators.  White-winged Crossbill
is number 91.  The small flock that I saw at Greenlawn in December did
not have any breeding plumaged males, so it was great to see some
stunning pink male birds.

Before leaving Columbus and at about 4:30 pm, I stopped by the Rivers
Edge office complex along Rt. 33 and the Scioto River to look for the
Wood Ducks that Bob Royse reported there along the bike trail.  There
was still a short stretch of open water and the mixed flock of waterfowl
was concentrated close to the office complex buildings.  I found two
Wood Ducks, a male and female for number 92.

On the way home, I stopped by Spring Valley WA.  At the feeders near the
boardwalk, in the gathering gloom, I tried to get a Barred Owl to
respond with my own poor voice imitation, without success.  However, a
Winter Wren came in very close to me, scolding and apparently looking
for the Barred Owl!  I guess my imitation is good enough!

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH