OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2013 13:25:00 -0500
There were two immature snowy owls at Conneaut this afternoon.  One was on the west breakwall about 75 yards south of the lighthouse.  The second was on the east break wall.  It was originally halfway down the breakwall.  It flew south along the breakwall sat about five minutes then flew towards the gravel pile.  It landed on the backside.  I was not able to relocate it.

There were two purple sandpipers, also on the west breakwall.  Not a lot of ducks or gulls here and nothing else of note.

I checked Ashtabula Harbor for snowy owls but was unable to find any.  There was a single Brant swimming along the east end of the outer breakwall.  It was with three mallards.  Very few ducks and gulls in the harbor and nothing else of note.