OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:30:32 -0700
I was at Villa Angela/Wildwood Parks today starting at 9:15am and stayed for a very very long time.  It was misty rain early on.  Later in day almost started to leave but as I was driving out parked near Lakeshore and re-walked the entire two parks looking for that fallout of warblers I did not see today and found a few more birds.  Early on south of the bathhouse there were many larger birds very high up, thrushes and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks but the warblers were harder to find here.  When I went back I found some birds not seen most of the day.  Villa Angela was squeaking with Grosbeaks today with many Swainson's Thrush.  Here is some of what I saw:

Solitary Sandpiper - along Euclid Creek in Wildwood
Eastern Phoebe 1
Empid 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Chimney Swifts 60+
Carolina Wren 2
Winter Wrens 2
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH 1 (up near lake late in day)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1 (heard only) "chibit" along creek in willows down from Lakeshore parking late in afternoon as I was standing on gravel bar along creek
Veery  3
Swainson's Thrush ~ 25
Wood Thrush 2
Brown Thrasher 1

Warblers:
Chestnut-sided 3
Magnolia 4
Cape May 3 (one pale one I thought was a Yellow-rumped turned out a Cape May in picture only seen late in day - two yellower ones up near the lake in catalpa
Black-throated Blue 2 females
Yellow-rumped 4 (only seen late afternoon up near the lake)
Black-throated Green 1 in WW
Blackpoll 4
Black-and-White 2
American Redstart 6
Ovenbird 2 (I keep seeing at least one every time I come)
Common Yellowthroat 12 (very numerous)
Wilson's 4

White-crowned Sparrow 1 in VA
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks ~ 7 (they were moving throughout Villa Angela - late afternoon there were four in a tree south of bathhouse - but saw them in field north of library, west of grassy knoll area and up near the lake with lots of squeaking)

Baltimore Oriole 1

Also, there was a lot of surveying done today.  They put a stake in down from the bathhouse in Villa Angela on the west side of Euclid Creek in the sand.  I am guessing this must have something to do with the bridge they are going to put in from the Wildwood marina area to Villa Angela for people that don't want to WALK so far for get to the beach.  He was also in the marina area I am guessing there are stakes there too - not sure.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/