From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 03:07:32 +0000
Greetings all -
The listserve and weather has exploded. As if LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE (P. Hurtado) near Columbus and WESTERN GREBE (C. Holt) at Evans Lake, Mahoning, weren't enough, an extralimital WHITE WAGTAIL (extreme Asian accidental) was found at Point Mouillee (just south of Detroit) today by A. Byrne (photographs and videos). Take your pick on where you want to go tomorrow (Sunday) and good luck.
As if that wasn't ENOUGH, if you've been watching the weather, tomorrow's conditions along the lakefront, from Maumee Bay to Conneaut (the entire length of the lakefront) are currently looking downright epic for raptor migration. Highs are predicted between 70 and 76 degrees, with SSW winds at 15-30 mph. While we're only at April 10, a massive flight of raptors could/should occur tomorrow, with opportunities to record thousands of vultures, buteos, accipiters, eagles, falcons (combined) if you are posted up at the right spot. Some key locations include Oak Openings, Maumee Bay, Magee Marsh hawk tower, Edgewater State Park in Cleveland, and Conneaut.
No doubt, there will also be an influx of passerines (warblers, sparrows, etc.). As of 11:04 p.m., there are Chipping Sparrows and other passerines migrating over my Medina Co. home by the dozens (recognized via chip notes).
Anywhere you go, you should see a new slew of species. If you place yourself at migrant trap locations or post up at hawkwatch spots, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Birds have been bottled up for weeks with our previous pattern of N/NW winds. They're ready to move.
The floodgates are opening.
best of birdingJen

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, Ohio