OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2014 20:55:55 -0500
We visited Killdeer Plains, Big Island, and Lawrence Woods in Wyandot and
Marion counties today. Best birds of the day were:

Seeing a Northern Shrike in both counties. First along County Road 71 at
Killdeer Plains in Wyandot County. A bit later we saw (another?) shrike
near Washburn Road across from Pond 27. The two sightings were about 1.5
miles and an hour apart. Same bird? Not sure. Could have been two.

About an hour before sunset we watched 5 Northern Harriers flying over the
fields at Lawrence Woods in Marion County (2 male "gray ghosts and 3
females). So fun to watch them flying together and interacting.

They are hunting on Pond 27 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so there were few
birds there. A nice group of 40+ Tundra Swans had gathered at the
relatively safe west end of the impoundment.

All in all a nice day of birding despite the rain and despite not seeing
any Short-eared Owls at Lawrence Woods even though we waited until well
after sunset.

Ken Ostermiller
Westfield Center