OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Janet Duerr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Duerr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:00:59 -0400
A bit of information on Purple Martins from "The Birds of North America,"
the Cornell lab web site.

"this species in eastern North America now breeds almost entirely in
backyard birdhouses. Its conversion to human-made martin houses from
ancestral nest sites—abandoned woodpecker holes in dead snags—was
almost complete before 1900; only a few records of natural nestings east of
the Rocky Mountains have been reported during the twentieth century."  They
did apparently nest until the 1930s in rock crevices on islands in
Minnesota.

Some American Indians put out gourds for Purple Martins before they started
being used by European transplants in the 1700s.  The Europeans copied this
habit.

In Western North America, Purple Martins are not as common as they are
here, but they are usually found nesting in natural cavities.  One of first
natural colonies I ever saw was in holes in a group of saguaro cacti on the
road to the Nature Conservancy's Aravaipa Canyon preserve in Arizona.

On another note - I saw fledglings of several species of warblers on our
local OBBA blocks this past weekend, including Blue-winged, Yellow,
Yellow-throated, Cerulean (!), and American Redstart.  Zillions of Common
Yellowthroats singing and eating and some even CF (carrying food), but no
babies seen.  The best find was the fuzzy baby Cerulean - previously, the
only fledgling that I had seen being fed by a pair of Cerulean parents was
a Cowbird.

Get out in the heat and atlas!

Janet Duerr
Athens, OH