From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2012 12:17:27 -0400
Good Morning, Everyone.
In an earlier post, Bill Whan expressed concern about the removal of ash
trees along the Magee Marsh Boardwalk and asked if BSBO (Black Swamp Bird
Observatory) had any thoughts on this issue. I hesitated to post anything
to the ListServ in regard to the ash tree issue at the Magee Marsh
Boardwalk since Mary Warren had mentioned it in a post to the ListServ a
few weeks back.   I did not want to appear as though I was trumping a state
employee's remarks with my own. We did post our thoughts and encouraged
comments on the BSBO Facebook page as well as the Birding Ohio Facebook
page.
At first, we were obviously concerned for the impact on the birds that rely
on that habitat.  The beach ridge habitat at Magee is one of only four
remaining beach ridges in the area.  The others are Navarre Marsh (located
behind the Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Station), Cedar Point National
Wildlife Refuge, and Darby Marsh.  These areas of wooded habitat right
along the Lakeshore provide critical resting areas for migratory birds, and
any alteration of the habitat--whether natural or human-induced--is cause
for great concern.
When we learned of the trees that had been removed -and the alarming number
of additional trees that appeared marked for removal - we immediately
telephoned the Ohio Division of Wildlife (ODOW) asking for some insight
into to their plans.  We were assured that they only planned to remove the
trees that posed an immediate  safety hazard, and that the additional
marked trees were those that they were going to monitor over the course of
the next few years.
The ODOW press release on the matter stated their intent to allow the
native trees to return on their own.  But, BSBO is currently working on a
proposal to ODOW that would allow us to generate funds to replace the lost
ash trees with trees that are native to the beach ridge habitat through a
Carbon Offset Program made available to participants traveling here for The
Biggest Week In American Birding.  Carbon Offset programs allow travelers
to calculate their "carbon footprint" and donate funds to help purchase
trees that will sequester an equal amount of carbon. We've discussed the
idea with ODOW and they are willing to look at our proposal.  A similar
program was offered by OOS to participants of the 2011 Midwest Birding
Symposium - and those funds were donated to Black Swamp Conservancy as
"seed money" to help acquire additional habitat adjacent to Meadowbrook
Marsh.
Whether or not we can pull this off in time for the 2012 festival remains
to be seen, but we'll keep you posted. I think this would be a good way for
people to give back to this incredible birding area that the wildlife
agency maintains and offers free of charge for birders.   Another way to
give back and support wildlife diversity in the state is to purchase the
Ohio Wildlife Legacy Stamp.  You can do that by calling BSBO at
419-898-4070 or through our secure online store, here:
http://www.bsbobird.org/BSBO_Online_Swamp_Shop.htm#CONSERVATION_STAMPS_&_OTH
ER_ITEMS
We'll even throw in a free keychain-style holder to display your stamp.
I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank all of the ListServ
subscribers who support BSBO. With the support of caring people like you,
BSBO - a nonprofit organization - is able to offer our songbird banding and
migration programs for schools absolutely free of charge.  These programs
reach thousands of students each year and instill the importance of
conserving stopover habitat. But to be honest, the most important thing
these programs do is help kids fall in love with birds. And that's the
first step in building support for conservation. You protect what you love
- and when given the opportunity to see a Blue Jay or goldfinch or cardinal
up close, it's darn-near impossible not to be captivated by birds.
Thanks again. Now go outside and enjoy the sunshine!
Kim
Kimberly Kaufman
Executive Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070

www.bsbobird.org
www.ohioyoungbirders.org
www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com

Become a fan of BSBO and the Ohio Young Birders Club on facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird
http://www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

Follow BSBO on Twitter: www.twitter.com/bsbobird

BSBO is proud to sponsor BIRDING OHIO on Facebook