OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2018

From:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2018 18:12:48 -0500
As reported yesterday on eBird, there were 3 Short-eared Owls at the Wilds
in Muskingum County. Today I saw presumably the same 3 birds about 3:50 pm
flying over the pond south of the Birding Station at Jeffrey Point. Also
there were 7 Trumpeter Swans, including 2 juveniles, plus 55 Canada Geese
and a Pied-billed Grebe.

At the pond east of Jeffrey Point along Zion Ridge Road, there was a female
Canvasback, 3 Ring-necked Ducks, 3 Buffleheads, 4 Hooded Mergansers, and an
American Coot. Just south along the road was a female Northern Harrier.

Along International Road from the shuttle bus lot south to the first pond,
another female Harrier was seen along with 2 Red-tailed Hawks, 1 American
Kestrel, 19 Mallards, 12 Buffleheads, 3 Lesser Scaups, 4 Ring-necked Ducks,
and 2 Canada Geese.

Earlier in the day, I visited Dillon Dam and reservoir north of Zanesville.
At the dam there were about 375 Bonaparte's Gulls. This may well be a
record for the county, since the previous eBird high was 200 birds on Nov.
1, 2018. Also present were 4 Ring-billed Gulls, 3 Hooded Mergansers, 2
Pied-billed Grebes, 4 Double-crested Cormorants, and 1 Great Blue Heron. 2
American Tree Sparrows were also present in the shrubs just below the
parking lot.

At the beach, I conservatively estimated 2,000 Ring-billed Gulls and 20
Herring Gulls. No Bonaparte's. The Ring-billed total exceeds by 300 birds
the previous eBird county high from March 5, 2010.

There were no birds at the marina, where the docks have been pulled for the
winter.

--
Terry Bronson
Marietta, OH