OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
Dave English <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2014 09:16:57 -0600
They don't happen here in Ohio, but tonite at 6 pm I heard the two-call notes of a flamulated owl for about 6 minutes in our oak-beech-maple back yard in Bainbridge Tp, Geauga Co. It was probably more likely a neighbor playing a tape than the bird, but clear and obvious enough to pass it on to you on the list. I drove all around the woods area to try hearing again with no joy. Also listened again up till 12 midnight (Cavs halftime)...nothing!
The books say it is highly migratory, having been seen in FL. Who knows, maybe he got his wires crossed and came way east rather than south. You can bet I'll be checking more tonite and in morning and tomorrow nite. I'll go into woods with a recorder if any sounds at all! This kind of "chase" is adrenaline pumping - don't ya just love our birds? Dave English

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone