OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 23:36:30 GMT
March 8, 2007

Yesterday, (3/7/07) my wife Jane reported the first noticeable invasion in force of red-
winged blackbirds at our farm. I left on Tuesday, 3/6/07 for three weeks of business, so
detailed reports are not forthcoming, but if Jane notices it, it is usually noteworthy. In the
days before I left I saw and heard a few male red-wings here and there, but no large flocks
on our upland site.

Yesterday's conditions were ideal for concentrating the birds: a rapidly accumulating wet
snow was falling, covering the ground everywhere except for place where livestock or birds
were trampling, such as under our feeders. Jane was in the barn checking on our very
pregnant ewes when she heard commotion in the backyard, and looked out to see a large
flock of red-winged blackbirds swarming around the feeders and the ground beneath. She
said the flock was huge, numbering at least fifty, but it could have been many more. She
reported that they completely took over for a while, temporarily wresting control from the
house sparrows.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County