OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 08:09:01 EST
For Bald Eagle fans, and especially those interested in the first recorded
nesting pair in SW Ohio, the Higginsport Bald Eagles are back on the nest.  You
may recall that in 2005, the first year this nest was active, the pair
successfully raised one eaglet.  Last year, 2006, an astounding 3 eaglets were
fledged.  I stopped by the nesting site on Sat, Mar 3, on my way home from the Adams
County Amish Bird Symposium to find an adult sitting on the nest.  I fumbled
with my spotting scope, camera, and "universal" adapter in the cold and biting
wind, trying for some digiscoped photos, and was just about to give up when
the second bird flew in and perched in a nearby tree.  I retreated to the
warmth of the car, resigned to bino views, then waved good-bye and wished the pair
good luck.

For those unfamiliar with the site, Higginsport is located in Brown County on
SR 52 along the Ohio River (DeLorme 82, B4.)  The eagle nesting site is 2
miles east of town, and is actually on page 83 of the Ohio Atlas, on property
owned by the Brown County Rural Water Association.  The water company and ODNR
have thoughtfully provided a parking and viewing area, just across from Free
Soil Rd.  (No facilities and no cell phone service!)

From the east, take SR 52 through Ripley; the site will be about 4.5 miles
west of Ripley, on your left (river side).  The parking area is just beyond the
water plant.  From the west, take SR 52 east from New Richmond through
Higginsport.  The viewing site is 2 miles east of town, on your right (river side)
before you reach the water company.  (Look for the sign for Free Soil Rd.)  From
the north, take SR 68 through Georgetown to Ripley and follow directions from
the east (or, you can take Rt 221 from Georgetown directly into Higginsport,
but be aware this is a narrow road in poor condition that follows White Oak
Creek to the Ohio River.  There are several areas where the road wants to slip
into the creek.  Use caution!)

While visiting SW Ohio for Bald Eagles, be sure to visit Crooked Run Nature
Preserve/Chilo Lock #34, about 12 miles west of Higginsport in SE Clermont
County (DeLorme 82, B2) - a hidden gem for birders!

~Kathi
Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont Co.
Delorme pg 82, B3