Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 22:26:38 -0400
Sorry for the late post. I have been busy with family matters, but I've
managed to take time to get into the field for a bit.

14 APR 2018 - While I was driving on Rt 76 in Summit County near the
Tallmadge exit, one (1) Sandhill Crane flew south over the road.

17 APR 2018 - Birding during a snow storm at Mosquito Lake and Refuge was
lucrative and interesting. I saw 57 species during the time I traveled
through the state park and refuge (12:50 PM - 5:13 PM). The snow limited my
vision, so I only recorded what I could identify up close. There were many
more birds on the lake, but they were too far out to id them.  It was a
remarkable afternoon with several interesting experiences. Watching five
juvenile Bald Eagles flying together was a treat. Witnessing a flock of 25
Red-breasted Mergansers swim in a circle and then dive in tandem, "herding"
and then catching some type of minnows, was fascinating. (I saw this
behavior repeated numerous times.) Watching a Common Loon catch and then
struggle to swallow a good-sized Bluegill was entertaining. Being in awe
while over 1000 swallows frantically skimmed above the surface of the lake
in front of me, snow blowing and swirling around them, as they desperately
searched for insects to sustain them through the harsh weather. It was one
of the best days I've had for a while. I hope everyone else is enjoying
migration as well.

Judy

*The list from my notes, in alphabetical order:*
American Coot 1136
American Crow 3
American Goldfinch 1
American Kestrel 1