From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:06:32 -0400
I was able to do a little hawk watching yesterday (4/13) at Lake Erie Bluffs.  The bluffs are a great spot for spring hawk watching.  You can watch right from the turnaround at the end of Lane Road or go down the trails.  Here my totals for about 2 hours.
Turkey Vulture (318), osprey (2), bald eagle (1 ad, 1 imm.), northern harrier (3), sharp-shinned hawk (268), Cooper's hawk (2), red-shouldered hawk (3), broad-winged hawk (122), red-tailed hawk (265), rough-legged hawk (2), American kestrel (2).  There are a number of eagles in the area.  The two counted appeared to be migrating.  The red-shouldered hawks were all immature as were about half of the red-tailed hawks that I got a good look at.  It was interesting that a number of the vultures were missing feathers.  It appears we are getting toward the latter parts of the red-tailed, red-shouldered, and vulture flights.
Other birds of note for the bluffs yesterday were great egret (1), SANDHILL CRANE, (2), Wilson's snipe (4), FISH CROW (4), brown thrasher (4),  eastern towhee (11), vesper sparrow (1), savannah sparrow (2), fox sparrow (7), rusty blackbird (60+), and purple finch (3).

For directions see lakemetroparks.com
John Pogacnik