From:
Laura Peskin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Peskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2015 15:31:55 -0400
Now that it's getting into the quieter summer birding season, I am hoping
some of you Shaker Lakes birders and area residents could support
conservation in a unique way.  2016 marks the 50th Anniversary of the
Nature Center of Shaker Lakes (NCSL), an Audubon-designated Important
Birding Area.  Celebrating 50 years of conservation in the Heights involves
archiving and digitizing NCSL history.  The Nature Center came to be out of
the grassroots anti-freeway movement of the 1960s.  Without  active area
citizens, the site of the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes, one of the last
area green spaces, would have been the Interchange of two unbuilt
 freeways: I-290 and the Lee Freeway.  If you would like to be part of the
exciting preservation and perpetuation of the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes
story, please volunteer to help archive and digitize our records.  No prior
archiving or related experience is required.

Please contact Jessica Brand, NCSL volunteer coordinator,  at  216.321.5935
x 237, or at [log in to unmask]  An application and background check
are required.  Please reply to me at this email address, or contact Jessica
if you have any questions.

--Laura Peskin