OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:54:46 -0400
Using the low traffic on Sunday morning to visit some urban parks in Columbus, I started at Berliner Park and worked my way north through Scioto Audubon, Confluence, Long St.Dam, OSU Wetland, and Whetstone Park.  Nothing very unusual, but did have interesting residents, including

Great Egrets - they were all over the place, with singles at every stop except Whetstone
Osprey - the nest at Scioto has 2 large juveniles, while the adults are prowling the nearby Scioto river
Kingfishers - 3 were along the river - at Berliner, Long St., and Whetstone
Acadian Flycatchers - 2-3 were at Berliner in the riparian woods, while 1 was in the ravine at Whetstone
WillowFlycatchers - 2-3 were in the fields at Scioto, while another was in the south field of Berliner
Swallows - lots of adults and fledglings of Tree, Rough-winged, and Cliffs at Berliner, SCioto, and LongSt.
Gnatcatchers - numbers rising on these very early migrants - I had 15+ between Scioto and Berliner
Wood Thrushes - these rare residents were singing at Berliner (1) and the Whetstone ravine (1)
Prothonotary Warblers - single singers were at Scioto Audubon and Berliner
Parula Warbler - a female was gathering food in the riparian woods at the OSU Wetland
BaltimoreOrioles - lots of big juveniles, often in the company of adults, all along the rivers here.