From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 18:00:04 -0700
I was at Villa Angela/Wildwood State Parks in Cleveland this afternoon from 5:30pm to 7:30pm.  I was in the field of Villa Angela (north of the library) and was walking through the very long grass towards the fence line as there were warblers there.  I startled a bird (and myself) that flew up and it appeared to me mostly tan.  It was narrow and long (approx. 14-15 inches) very lanky (not sturdy, awkwardly flying up).  It had legs dangling under it and it had a long stream a wet poop flowing out of it as it flew up.  It flew to the trees along the fence line and I could not relocate it.  It was too small for any other Bittern and too lanky, narrow and too tan for a Green Heron.  I don't have much experience with them but my first impression was Least Bittern and I conferred with a Cleveland expert after my sighting.  Next time I won't fixate on the poop and try to look at the more important details.

Both parks had warblers including near Lakeshore parking lot.  Here is some of what I saw on my late day birding:

Spotted Sandpipers 2
Solitary Sandpiper 1(still here after a few wks along Euclid Creek in WW)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Least Flycatchers 3, many more flycatchers not ID'd
E. Kingbirds, Red-eyed Vireos, Warbling Vireos
Veery 1 (WW)
Cedar Waxwings 7
Gray Catbirds - everywhere

Warblers:
Tennessee 1
Yellow many
Chestnut-sided 1
Magnolia 4
Yellow-rumped 1
Black-throated Green 1
Black-and-White 2
American Redstart 2
Ovenbird 2 (both in WW)
Mourning Warbler 1 (ent. to field area VA)
Common Yellowthroat 1

Lincoln Sparrow 1
Swamp Sparrow 1
White-throated 25+