OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:16:13 -0500
There was a nice movement of gulls and mergs today.  The only problem was everything was pretty far out which made it difficult to pick out the rare stuff.  The only bird of note was a lesser black-backed gull. My feeders were really slow today. Yesterday's crossbill came in with a large flock of house finches.  There were very few house finches today.  There are a lot of cones on the spruces and hemlocks in my yard.  I think what crossbills are in the area, have little need to come down to the feeders.  Yesterday's bad weather probably made the natural food a little harder to come by.  If any show up, I'll post it. Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
January 15, 2012,
745-1015
Weather- partly cloudy, Winds- S 5
Temp- 8-18 F,
Barometer- 30.46-30.38
Humidity-77, Dew point- 3-12
Waves-1-2 feet,
Flight direction- west

Common goldeneye   116Common merganser  188
Red-breasted merganser
  1,426
Bald eagle 1 ad
Bonaparte's gull   32Ring-billed gull 1,724
Herring gull 466
Lesser black-backed gull   1 adGreat
black-backed gull 27