OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Phil Marcischak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Marcischak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:51:06 -0400
A male Harlequin Duck has been at Presque Isle State Park (Erie,PA) for
the last several days.  I know this list is for OH birds but it was a
lifer for us and we figured that we'd post it in case anyone else wanted
to make the trip.  We spotted the posting on the PA Birding List and found
the bird Sunday on the Bay amongst a large group of Common Goldeneye.  It
was still being seen today.  It likes to "hang" with the Goldeneyes.

It was seen along the straightaway after you pass a sign and pull-off area
for "East Pier".  If you do a close-up using Yahoo! Maps, that stretch is
called "E. Fisher Drive".  Pull off along that straight stretch of road
looking south intothe bay and search the back part of a large grouping of
Goldeneyes.  The bird is hanging near the edge of the ice floe and
disappears for long periods of time during dives.  It will take patience
and a decent spotting scope to find it, but for us it was worth it.

Also, it was cool to see many of the male Common Goldeneyes doing their
courtship display in that general area.  We also saw several Red-breasted
Merganser males doing THEIR courtship display, but they were seen doing it
off of Coast Guard Road from the "pier" at the furthest point east just
past the Coast Guard Station.

Made for an enjoyable day of birding, and since the next several days will
be fairly nice, maybe you can enjoy it also!

For more info, see the PA Birding List.

Phil & Brenda