OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2021

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2021 20:37:13 -0500
I started around Lake Barber in Hamilton. hoping for the Snow Goose.
No luck! I am starting to believe that Snow Goose is iffy. Well, I am out
enough. And I always am looking up. We will see.

I hit spots in Brown county next. Some productive. Some not.
I would like to see a more uncommon bird on the Ohio River.
Hasn't happened yet! I was searching for winter owls and finches
in likely looking spots. no luck. I didn't make it to Eagle Creek
Wildlife area. Far! And I kept getting sidetracked by stuff on the
side roads driving there. I have high hopes for that area! And at
5!! species total for life - it needs some exploring. Which I love
to do. and will do. That place deserves all day though.

I hit East Fork - Clermont county on my drive home. Do I even
need to mention - no lesser black backed gull.......

No unusual waterfowl either. That was a bit surprising. But
the reservoirs will be a key for rare stuff for the big year.
Plus I just like them! Now I know where the Bonapartes Gulls
get to if not many on the main lake. A few hundred were feeding
in a little inlet area. I did not have time for an accurate count, I
will next time. It would have shattered the ebird filter, so I like
to be as accurate as possible.

I had a Phoebe at a spot in Brown. I hope it makes it! It seemed
OK. It was feeding off an asphalt parking area. Bugs must have
been there.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini