OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Cheryl Harner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl Harner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2013 10:19:02 -0500
The Evening Grosbeaks continue to put on an excellent show in Mohican.  We
saw 30, both males and females yesterday morning.  They still visit
primarily in the morning.  Below you will find the my original post with
directions:

Once again I remind birders: the property owners have VERY large dogs.
Please do NOT take pets with you on your visit to their property, as an
unfortunate occurrence  could result.

The snow is gone, but due to the popularity of the site, it is still best to
park at the Gorge to be safe and avoid traffic congestion and car wrecks!
Here are a couple suggestions from one of our most respected local patch
birders, Gary Cowell:
_____

1.     Take Rt 97,  to Mohican State Park- to Mohican Rd #51.  Park at the
Mohican Gorge Overlook parking lot.  (Map can be found on ODNR’s website.)

2.       Walk  Mohican Rd #51 (the road that runs from the Fire tower to the
Gorge Overlook) back towards the west.  It is a fairly level, easy 1/2 mile
walk though the most enjoyable pine woods.

3.       Watch for the birds along the way and at the feeders.   One of the
home owner’s  has large (very large) dogs.  Just stay on the road, you will
be fine.  DO NOT BRING PETS!!!!

4.       Be alert for traffic- this is a low visibility area.

5.       The grosbeaks tend to come to this area to feed between 9:00 and
11:00 am. This is the optimum time to visit.

6.       All “Lakewood etiquette” rules apply:  respect people’s property
lines.

Evening Grosbeaks have a long history in the Mohican area and we are happy
to share them with you.  It is likely that they will remain all winter as
they have in the past- if they have food.  Consider donating a bag of
black/oil sunflower seeds to help them through the winter.  These birds are
voracious!

If you can’t make the trip in January, do not despair- we will try to make
some special arrangements during the Ohio Ornithological Society’s Owl
Conference in February.

Good luck and good birding from Greater Mohican Audubon.

Cheryl Harner