OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2015 22:52:48 -0400
Lots of Birds today...EVEN MORE WIND!!!

The Eurasian Wigeon put on a show for lots of people today, in pond 27 (1)
I hope it sticks around for another few days.  I wish I could have gotten
some flight shots, but the it was too far away, and you couldn't even see
which one it was in the camera.  There were also a heaping helping of
Sandhill Canes today, I saw 7, but a total of 20 were reported today.

To help people out about Pond 27, it is really 3 ponds.  Pond 27 is on
Wyandot-Marion Rd./County Rd 68 (County line road names are confusing. :-D)
Coming from Co. Hwy 115 the first pond is Pond 1  The other is pond 3.
Pond 2 is BEHIND both of those ponds...and can not be accessed without
permission....(If anyone would like to give me permission...I would like to
hike back there. :-D.)  So when I post in the future about those two ponds,
I will try to post it as ponds 27(1) and 27(3) to aid in location...for
example the Wigeon was in  27(1), and for most of the day, the Greater
White-fronted Geese were seen in 27(3)..but were also in 27(1) as
well...hopefully that will help those looking for them using GPS.

For those interested...In my previous post, I mentioned three scopes that I
was interested in getting because, my employer is going to buy it...(Let's
just say I have been a really good boy and leave it at that...and no one
better tell them any different. ;-). ) What I LATER found out was that
there was another one that I could get as well, a straight sight Leupold
SX-2 Kenai 30x & 25-60x 80mm HD Spotting Scope  This is not the best out
there, but it is not the worst either.   It was just the best that was
available in my employer's gift catalog.  So that is the one I am getting.
(They also have the Celestron Regals in there, but I already have one, and
I wanted a straight sight to make it easier on my neck. :-D) So we will
see.  If anyone sees me with it, and wants to see/try it out, just ask, I
don't mind...I should have it in time for my trip to Magee.

Anyhew, List of Birds around Pond 27 (1) follows

Have a great birdy four day work week, Happy Birding, and God Bless!

Steve  J.

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area--Pond 27, Wyandot, US-OH
Mar 29, 2015 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
35 species

Canada Goose  100
Trumpeter Swan  5
Tundra Swan  50