OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:14:39 -0500
  Thank you Jen, that is a very important point I should have brought
up. Navigating Breakwalls is often a very difficult and possibly
dangerous activity. One must not only harness the power of the Purple
sandpiper to get it done ;-) , but be possessed of good balance, proper
eqiupment, and a careful outlook. Like Jen said, having a good scope
and scanning for Pipers is always a good idea and can save you a trip,
unfortunately I wasn't able to find any this way, but some people have
seen them on the beach or in closer than we had our sighting. It is
always done at your own risk, and just like any other possibly
dangerous out-door activity (mountain climbing, canyoneering, caving,
skiiing etc) one should follow basic rules:

1. Have a partner; the "buddy system" is essential in my mind, and can
definately come in handy should one fall and need assistance, but never
take unnecessary risks in hopes your buddy will pick up the pieces,
this is not necessarially your buddie's responsibility. At least tell
someone where you'll be, and have people watching from the shore.
2. Wear appropriate gear. Good fitting and rock-gripping boots are also
essential. I wear sturdy shoes with sticky rubber, or tight fitting
waterproof boots. Also have water-proof pants and jacket for the
possible spray from the waves. Other cold weather gear may be needed.
Tie your shoes tightly.

3. Know your limits and always be ready to turn back if the conditions
are too dangerous. On the day of the successful sighting we all judged
that the waves were only big enough to get us a bit wet, and that the
ice had indeed melted off of most of the rocks. Always take care when
picking foot placements since water, moss, ice and sand can all cause
you to slip. On at least two occaisions we had to not venture out onto
the wall because the waves were too high, and another when the rocks
were too ice-covered.
4. Keep your hands free for balance and if needed to use in holding the
rocks to assist yourself. There are large body sized gaps between many
of the large stone blocks. Never be afraid to use all "fours" or turn
around. Its not worth breaking bones.

      Each of these rules are subject to modification with the
conditions of the weather, but should never be totally disregarded. Our
continued use of the breakwall depends on good decision making and
safety. There are other breakwalls made of stone like this one that are
safer, I'd say Headland's breakwall is moderatly difficult compared to
others; more dangerous than some.
      Personally I'm glad to have a break from breakwall rock-hopping.
That little bird sure made us appreciate just what its worth! A very
worthy bird I must say and fun to observe. But none-the less it was one
of the most difficult sightings, effort wise, that I've had in Ohio and
certainly these birds can be one of the most difficult shore-birds to
find in Ohio. But this doesn't mean you can't see one with more ease
than it took me, since they sometimes appear near or on the beach and
when finally encountered they are relatively tame and can be easily
viewed- usually. Well thats my views of the subject. Hopefully some
will find them handy.
     Enjoy your birding,
        - Ben Warner
           Sunbury OH