OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2009 21:33:32 -0500
I took a circular route in the western part of the state from home to
Grand Lake-St Mary's and then to Killdeer Plains. Along the way I picked
up two Eurasian Collared-Doves, two white pelicans and five species of
geese and five Long-eared Owls.

I stopped in West Manchester on the way to Celina and saw two in a Maple
Tree on Orchard St near the church. This is on the west side of US 127.
That was about 8:30 AM. I didn't spend much time looking in Celina but
saw one near the sewer plant west of Bella's.

I next went to look for the pelicans that Jill reported the other day. I
took SR 703 east from US 127. I turned left on SR 219 and then turned
left on Bruce Road. There is a large sign advertising Park Grand Resort
at Bruce Road. I took Bruce all of the way back and the pelicans were
standing on the ice. There is a small parking area at the end of Bruce
you can see the birds from.

I next went to Killdeer Plains and Upper Sandusky area. All of the water
except at Pond 27 was frozen over. I went back to the alternate owl
grove with John and Linda who were getting ready to go back when I
pulled up and we found five Long-eared Owls.

I next went to Oak Hill Cemetery which was very quite with no crossbills
while I was there.

I went to the Upper Sandusky Reservoir where there was a little open
water but thousands of Canada Geese and Mallards. Mixed in were about 20
pintails, two buffleheads and one Cackling Goose.

At the white barn there were no larks, larkspurs or buntings.

On the way back I got a call from Dan Sanders saying that there were
Greater White Fronted, Snow and Ross's Geese at Pond 27. There were also
Tundra Swans present. Dan then saw a Short-eared Owl flying at least 100
feet above the pond. Those are the highlights.

John Habig
261 Lantis Dr.
Carlisle, Ohio 45005