OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2018

From:
Bruce Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2018 05:15:24 -0400
I spent 6 of 7 days in this lush green area The birds were singing and very active

Birds carrying food
Warblers
 Oven
 Prairie-female
 Hooded-female
 Blue-winged--female

Young
 Turkey-5 plots
 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
 Grackle
 Mourning Dove
 Phoebe
Warblers
 Hooded-female
 American Redstart-female
 Yellow-breasted Chat
 Chestnut-sided

Highlights
 Merlin- at Lodge/ cabin area
 Ruby-crowned Kinglet--nested here last year
 Blackburian- singing-- nested here the last 3 years
 Worm-eating Warbler--popped up at eye level and lead me away from its nest on the ground while the young were chipping
Pairs foraging together
 Warblers
 Prairie
 American Redstart
Birds foraging seen in one view
 Rose-breasted Grosbeak/Scarlet Tanager
 Warblers- Cerulean / Parula

For more info on the 20 Breeding Warblers and their specific habitat - go to eBird Hotspots Zaleski State Forest

Other animals seen
 Long-tailed Weasal- carrying food
 Bear
  Tracks found - young and adult
   Saw young bear running into thick vegetation
  Bobcat- 12 feet away from me-We starred at each other for about 10 seconds-What a beautiful animal

Bruce Simpson- Nature Photographer

Sent from my iPhone