OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:50:03 -0400
Hi,

So yesterday I posted about my perceptions of this year's breeding season
around Kirtland.  I was especially curious about the perceived lack of Wood
Warblers, so I asked Mike Watson at Holden to look at my field notes from
previous years.

In past years I just kept track of presence absence in a given area and
breeding evidence.  This year I've switched to using eBird to track the
results and so also keep track of numbers of individuals in each area
during a visit.

Using the previous criteria of occurrence we looked at results in the
period from May 30 to June 15 from 2011 to 2015 for American Redstart and
Black-throated Green Warbler, as follows:

American Redstart presence May 30 - June 15
2011 - 6
2012 - 4
2013 - 2
2014 - 5
2015 - 3

Black-throated Green Warbler presence  May 30 - June 15
2011 - 3
2012 - 4
2013 - 2
2014 - 2
2015 - 1

In each year I have covered 5 or 6 areas with appropriate habitat for these
species during this 17 day period and keep in mind these are not numbers of
individuals but presence on a day in a specific area.

Based on those criteria the Redstart numbers are pretty normal and the
Green numbers are low but not out of what would seem to be the normal range
given the small sample. Yes I now wish I had kept quantitative data for
those previous years but it wasn't what we were doing. So I'm just going
with what I have.

Haans