OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2015 22:48:46 -0400
"Bad weather makes for good Birding" (Jen Brumfield and others).

After waiting until 10:30 for the rain to stop I decided to  go 'car
birding' and see what I could see from the protection of my vehicle.  What
an unexpected treat I was in for.  A few pictures are posted at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85567104@N05/sets/72157653319568110.  Yes, the
rain did stop several times so this was a good decision!

I found a new Sandhill colt with its parents on Rapids Road, 1 mile south of
Rt. 87 near Burton, OH.  The birds were on the west side of the road and
there is limited parking near the green gas storage containers.  Watch the
traffic as they determine their own speed limit on this road.  This area has
been producing new baby Sandhills for quite a few years  and these fields
are a favorite feeding location.

Eldon Russell Park is just a couple miles south of here and you can find
Black-billed Cuckoo's right inside the entrance.  Just park in the first
spaces you see on the right and hang out for awhile.  Your list will quickly
grow as you wait - Yellow Warblers, Field Sparrow, Common Yellowthroat,
etc..  MOSQUITO'S ARE OUT IN FORCE SO BE PREPARED!  If you still need a
Veery drive all the way to the back at the boat launch and listen.  They are
pretty reliable.  Walk downstream along the river and see Prothonotary
Warblers and much more.

South Russell Village Park is near Chagrin Falls and has become a haven for
Bobolinks, Savannah Sparrows, Meadowlarks, Swallows, Purple Finches and much
more.  They will leave the extensive hay fields alone until August 1 so the
Bobolinks can fledge and leave the area.  I counted 20 Bobolinks (adults
plus young) and a friend traveled more extensively and estimated he saw 40!
This park is on Bell Road, about 5 minute drive east of downtown Chagrin
Falls (Bell terminates at The Popcorn Shop next to the falls).  Good parking
- mowed pathways - solid ground but wet from recent rains (wear waterproof
footwear).  Even a porta-potty!

Geauga County - the 'happening place' for birding in N.E. Ohio!  209 species
of birds seen so far this year!

Matt Valencic