From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2014 18:24:23 -0400
I stopped at these two parks in Columbus north of OSU, and found some migrants with a bit of work.  If there was any fallout, the flycatchers and vireos carried it; warblers were hard to locate.  I spent an hour in the morning at the wetland, then another hour in the afternoon at Glen Echo.  Included among the birds were

Green Heron - 1 was in the impoundment at Buckeye wetland
Cooper's Hawk - calling male at Glen Echo, where they've nested often
Hummingbirds - at least 2 Ruby-throats were at each location, so they've arrived in force
Flycatchers - 3+ Pewees and 1-2 GreatCresteds at each location.  Glen Echo also had a Phoebe, 2 Acadians, and 1 Least
Vireos - Buckeye was flooded with 6-7 singing Warbling Vireos, but only 1 was at Glen Echo.  Red-eyed were also at both.
Thrushes - 3-4 Swainson's were at each site
Mimids - Buckeye had 5 singing Catbirds and 1 singing Brown Thrasher
CedarWaxwings - flocks at both parks; 25 at Buckeye and 12 at Glen Echo

Warblers - Buckeye had 3 Yellows, a Parula, a Chesnut-sided, Blackburnian, Black&White, N.Waterthrush, and a singing Mourning (This haas been a reliable spot for Mourning for a long time.)  Glen Echo had 2 magnolias, 1 Chesnut-sided, 2 Black&Whites, 2 Canadas, and a Hooded.  The forest patch west of Indianola was the better half today.

Orioles - Buckeye had 4-5 Baltimores singing and squabbling.