From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:06:16 -0400
Leonardsburg Marsh is not a marsh! It's a giant mudflat!!

Central Ohio birders, get out there and check out this mudflat. If it stays
like this throughout migration, the "marsh" very well may become the prime
shorebird destination in central Ohio. I acknowledge that some of these
species are still rather early, but as Bill Whan pointed out, we have gotten
strong southern winds for the past few days, which can push some birds to
arrive early. Here's what I saw:

Killdeer- lots
Spotted Sandpiper- 1
Solitary Sandpiper- 1, rather close, providing a positive identification
Lesser Yellowlegs- 3
Greater Yellowlegs- 2
Dunlin- 40
Pectoral Sandpiper- 107, one flock of 45 headed north, and 62 or so still on
the flats
Least Sandpiper- 2

The places to view this mudflat are from the dyke south of it, or from
Leonardsburg Rd.

Seriously, this place looked like it had amazing potential. However, I will
say that the people who manage the water levels for the marsh can be quite
unpredictable. Sometimes overnight they'll let out all the water, and I
don't know if they have a way of flooding it.

Good birding,

Sean

---
Sean Williams, '11
Undergraduate of Ornithology of Dr. Jed Burtt
Ohio Wesleyan University
HWCC 724
Delaware, OH 43015
617-470-4094