From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2014 20:50:57 -0400
Work was cancelled today...whats a person to do??? Go birding of course. :-D

I went to both Big Island and Killdeer Plains to try and get my local lists
caught up.  Big Island had nothing new except a Ruby-throated hummingbird.
I couldn't relocate the Purple Gallinule...but nothing really wanted to
come out and face the wind. Water report is....wet, really wet, like so
much water that the puddles are almost lakes! Ground nesters may have had
some issues.  The wind was so bad that the swallows were flying...and not
moving..:-D

 At Killdeer, on the Marion County side of CH68 had 1 Wilson's Phalarope
left.  The others could be around...there was plenty of water for everyone.
:-D  the containment pond that was drawn down on the Wyandot County side of
68 (Pond 27), was pretty barren.  Again, lots of water, lots of
wind...Tomorrow might be an interesting day...

Pics here:

http://www.sjlarue.com/blog/2014/5/phalaropin

Lists of the day below:

Big Island Wildlife Area, Marion, US-OH
May 15, 2014 1:16 PM - 2:56 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.3
49 species

Canada Goose  8
Trumpeter Swan  1
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  4
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Double-crested Cormorant  8
Great Blue Heron  8
Turkey Vulture  10
Sora  1
Common Gallinule  4
Killdeer  2
Mourning Dove  4
Chimney Swift  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Northern Flicker  1
Willow Flycatcher  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  2
Horned Lark  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Purple Martin  8
Tree Swallow  150
Barn Swallow  150
Marsh Wren  8
Swainson's Thrush  1
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  3
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  2
Common Yellowthroat  2
Yellow Warbler  1
Eastern Towhee  1
Chipping Sparrow  1
Field Sparrow  2
Vesper Sparrow  4
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  4
Summer Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  2
Bobolink  10
Red-winged Blackbird  100
Eastern Meadowlark  8
Common Grackle  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
Baltimore Oriole  1
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  2
House Sparrow  1

View this checklist online at

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area (Marion Co.), Marion, US-OH
May 15, 2014 3:13 PM - 4:39 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.3
32 species

Canada Goose  10
Trumpeter Swan  2
Mallard  2