OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Robert Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:52:45 -0400
Jim,

I made a family trip to Maine in early July and saw some good stuff.  I
definitely wish there had been more time to bird and go further afield. My
visit was to the lower coastal area of Maine.  I'll list the less common
birds I spotted this trip.

Scarborough Marsh (supposed to be one of the better birding areas in the
state, the shorebird migration is reported to be excellent).
  Glossy Ibis
  Willet
  Little Blue Heron
  Seaside Sparrow
  Nelson's Sharp Tailed Sparrow
  I missed out on Saltmarsh Sharp Tailed Sparrow others reported.

Egg Rock Island (bird tour boat from Port Clyde)  The Puffins and Terns
were nesting on the island.
  Black Guillemot
  Common Eider
  Atlantic Puffin
  Roseate Tern
  Arctic Tern

I understand that mid-summer is the worst time to visit for bird
diversity.  There were bird tours from towns north of Acadia Nat'l Park to
islands with Common Murres and Razorbills in addition to Puffins.
Unfortunately that was too far away for this trip for me.   I don't know
when the Puffins usually depart the islands.

I can't list places for the Boreal Species but they are supposed to be
readily available in the far nothern wooded areas.  Can't wait to go back
and pick those up.

Best of luck on your trip.

Robert Jackson
Broadview Heights, OH