OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2011 19:27:54 -0500
Birders,

Today (Dec 30) I went to a home in Canfield, Mahoning County and banded an
immature female Rufous Hummingbird. This bird originally turned up on
November 28 when the homeowner did not have a feeder up (but still has
trumpet honeysuckle blooming even as of today). They put a feeder back up
on the 28th but did not see the bird again until December 7. It stayed
until the morning of the 9th and apparently disappeared. What is likely the
same bird returned on December 23 and has been seen daily, though
irregularly, every day since. I have information that two other homeowners
in the neighborhood have also been hosting the bird...one location 3/4 mile
away. I was concerned that I might have a long wait to capture her, but it
only took about 3 minutes. The bird is healthy and fat. The homeowners are
not particularly interested in hosting birders, but as far as I know the
other Mahoning County Rufous is still on-site in Damascus. And, at least
three others are still on-site and appear likely to become 2012 birds.

--
Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan