OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2011 16:57:08 -0800
I spent a long time at Wildwood and Villa Angela SP on the east side of Cleveland today (11:10am to 2:25pm) as the weather was nice,  it wasn't windy and you could hear the birds.  Usually hard to find any interesting land birds in December.  Sparrows hard to find.  Highlights only:

Horned Grebes 4
Bald Eagle 1 (almost adult thru marina and west)
Cooper's Hawk 1
Ring-billed Gulls ~ 330 in marina
Carolina Wren 1 in Wildwood
HERMIT THRUSH 1 in Villa Angela (west of grassy knoll both sides of path)
GRAY CATBIRD  1 in Wildwood
Northern Mockingbird 1 in Wildwood  (across creek along bank)
Belted Kingfisher 1 m
Song Sparrow 3

Catbird was on the south side of the Wildwood woods near the asphalt path leading down to creek.  Only found it because I was pishing in an area that has had both wrens and some sparrows early this fall and the Catbird called.  It popped up long enough for a view then disappeared.  Went back an hour later to re-find bird to get a picture and it was in same general area higher up in trees.    Saw Carolina Wren in same area today, usually hear it on island.

I then stopped at Sims Park in Euclid from 2:40pm to 3:40pm.  I walked a good part of the park didn't see any unusual land birds, just Cooper's Hawk and some Tufted Titmouse and the following lake birds:

Surf Scoters 10  (one was by itself)
Black Scoters 2
Lesser Scaup 2 (m & f) female was with scoters
Common Goldeneye ~ 140
Red-breasted Mergansers - not many

Euclid Park actually had many more Bonaparte's Gulls straight out but didn't have scope there - at least 50 mixed in with Ring-billed Gulls.

Bluestone Business Park off of East 260th St. in Euclid 4pm saw one Horned Lark as I drove in cross from the north side to the curb on the south and then flew off southwest.  They seemed to like the dirt on the left near the entrance early this fall otherwise I haven't been seeing anything there.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/