OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2013 20:56:40 -0500
I was not able to get back to where the adult California gull was today, but
was able to view that area from a distance.  There were probably 20% or less
the number of gulls that were there on Monday and Tuesday.  The west winds
were kicking the lake up and most of the gulls had dispersed.  What I did
notice today was a small movement of gulls westward along the lake and
almost everyone was a herring.  They are predicting some north winds over
the next few days and the gulls may be concentrating in some of the usual
areas.

I covered some of the southern parts of the Lake Erie Bluffs Park and turned
up some decent birds.  I found red-headed woodpecker, yellow-bellied
sapsucker, and gray catbird.  I also had a couple young northern harriers
and several golden-crowned and one ruby-crowned kinglet.

At our Baker Road Park in Leroy Township, Lake County I had a hermit thrush,
several golden-crowned and one ruby-crowned kinglet, and several
yellow-rumped warblers.  The first 100 yard of the trail is lined with
crabapple trees and they were loaded with birds.

For directions to both parks check the lakemetroparks.com website.

John Pogacnik

4765 Lockwood Road

Perry, OH 44081