OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Larry Gara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Gara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:27:07 -0400
I suppose the bird which was identified as a Northern Goshawk has left Caesar Creek but just in case it is still around I want to list what Beth Mitchell and I suggest looking for.
Size - large, larger than a Red-shouldered and bulkier looking
Bill - a bi-colored bill, lighter toward the base
Head -a clear white eyebrow which starts narrow but becomes wider toward the back
           Beth said the bird looked like it was frowning - I note Jenny Brumfield had a
          similar comment in her helpful forum comments
Tail - long, at least five inches below the wings. There was a very thin white line at the end
Breast - cream colored with heavy scattered dark streaking
              the streaks were large and longer than wide
Wings - wide and dark, no hint of windows
Legs - bright yellow with fluffy feathers covering the top of the legs
Back - dark, no hint of red anywhere

With all this weather it would be amazing if the bird stuck around but.....

Messy Weather Cheers,  Larry Gara