OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:31:34 -0400
Clark County Audubon and the Springfield City Parks had a combined walk
at Old Reid Park and Buck Creek State Park this morning. There weren't
too many birds on the ponds at Buck Creek State Park but there was a
single female Greater Scaup. Later we saw a pair of Lesser Scaup. Then
we spotted a female White-winged Scoter and got great looks at it. We
drove to the overlook on the southwest side of the lake at Buck Creek
State Park and found the Surf Scoter that has been around. It is a male
in breeding plumage. Then to the north we spotted a Red-necked Grebe.
There are several Common Loons in breeding plumage on the lake now.
There are still some Red-breasted Mergansers but there aren't a lot of
ducks remaining on the lake. We then drove to the north end of the lake.
Grant Road is closed near the south end so to get to the north end you
should take State Route 4 north to the next road east which turns into
Moorefield Road and then turn south on Grant Road. There are still
mudflats and we found 4 Greater and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs today. There are
also a couple Snow Geese. One was a white morph and the other was a
young blue morph. We also had a single Sandhill Crane fly over calling.
We also found what we are pretty sure was a first winter Lesser
Black-backed Gull with the large flock of gulls at the north end of the
lake. There were also lots of Herring Gulls and a few Bonaparte's Gull
are around.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio