OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Howard Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:04:15 EDT
Per an extensive email exchange a week or two ago, several people have  noted
an apparent scarcity of Common Nighthawks, while others have observed them
quite frequently.  After the original set of posts I started paying  closer
attention to one of my favorite sounds of summer, the nighthawks in the  evening.
 I've seen them virtually every evening I've been out here in  Columbus -
whether it is the Grandview area (around Grandview and 5th) or the  Short North
(think High and 3rd through 5th) or further east (think of the  buildings and
lights of Easton or of Gahanna).

It makes one wonder if perhaps the earlier dry weather kept the bug
population down, and made for less Nighthawk activity in some areas.  But  the bugs
seem to be back, and my own experience is that the Nighthawks appear to  be
dining in style!

Howard Mueller

Columbus, OH
I have  been looking all summer in vain, but saw my first Not-so-Common
Nighthawk  at 5:45 a.m. today over Riverside Hospital in  Columbus.

Additional discussions can  be found in our forums, at
www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.

You can join or  leave the list, or change your options,  at:
Send  questions or comments about the list to:  [log in to unmask]

Howard Mueller

Phone: 415-987-3106  (cell)