From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:41:15 -0400
Birders,

We can consider the impacts of birding and other recreational pastimes on
birds by looking at research conducted by recreation ecologists. It's
important to look beyond our personal experience, to look at collective
experience and impacts, subject to objective observation and interpretation.
This field of study grew in response to the degradation of popular wild
places by overuse and irresponsible use for recreation during decades
following WWII and building of our interstate highway system (imagine
birding without it!). During the 80's and 90's early sloganeering about
trash and wildfire matured into hard science, Smokey Bear and Woodsy Owl
matured into The Seven Principles of Leave No Trace (LNT). In birding, the
ABA code of ethics became an early guide for those of us concerned about
limiting impacts. The Leave No Trace movement experienced parallel growth
with the science of recreation ecology. LNT relies on recreation ecologists
for authority of resource when defining recommendations for low impact
outdoor recreation. I found applicable research in less than thirty-seconds
by searching the internet. This pdf offers results of birder impacts on
birds at around pages 8 and 9, http://www.elcr.org/resources/birds.pdf
The research demonstrates significant impacts by birders. Simple behaviors,
direct approach (as in chasing that photo) cause stress and changes in bird
behavior by birds already investing energy in migration or defending
territories, and so on. Casual trail networks through wild places form
rapidly following few footfalls, etc. Take a look at research from
recreation ecology, you may be surprised (Jeff Marion, at Virginia Tech,
http://frec.vt.edu/Faculty/JeffMarion.html leads a lot of interesting
research).
The ABA Code of Ethics is found here http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
For more on Leave No Trace, visit www.LNT.org.

During the discussion of birder impacts precipitated by concern for our new
Fish Crows, little has been mentioned about the importance of courtesy to
other birders and non-birding recreation area users or local residents.
Courtesy goes a long way in birding as elsewhere. Many of my sightings and
attempts have been terminated by other birders or photographers plowing
ahead to get in close. I've found myself guilty of same a few times, then I
do better, I hope. The Seventh Principle of LNT is, "Be considerate of
others visitors." I think it's a good idea for users of this listserv, too.
Mostly, we birders do well at both I think.

Tom Bain
OOS conservation committee chair
Delaware County