OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:35:47 -0400
I had short visits to these parks in downtown Columbus for the last 2 mornings, and I can safely say that waterfowl migration is fading quickly, while landbird migration hasn't really gotten started here yet.  The 24th was clear, while the 25th was drizzly, but neither produced too much other than the expected early temperate migrants.  Notables included:

Great Blue Herons - 16 in the bay above the dam was a lot of commuters from nesting rookeries (most likely the Campbell Mound Quarry colony).

Cormorants - a flock of 20+ in the same area shows that these birds are starting to move.

Black Ducks - 5-6 around the Scioto River in Berliner Park was a last group of these winter residents

Phoebe - 1 below the Greenlawn dam was about on time for an early migrant here

Brown Creepers - 3 were in the riparian woods along the Berliner bikepath

Golden-cr.Kinglets - several along the bikepath in both locations indicated a steady movement of these early migrants

Field Sparrow - 1 was in the small meadow along the bikepath in Scioto-Whittier

Fox Sparrows - 3 were along the bikepath in Scioto while another was along the bikepath in Berliner.

Junco - a small flock of 6-8 were foraging along the bikepath in Scioto

Blackbirds - plenty of Grackles and Redwings at both locations, along with a few Cowbirds