OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:47:09 EDT
I want to thank everyone for all the e-mails and phone calls about the  Dirty
Jobs episode that featured West Sister Island and the cooperative  efforts
between the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge,
_Click here: Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge  Association_
(http://www.onwra.com/)   the Ohio Division of Wildlife's wetland research  staff at Magee
Marsh, _Click  here: Sportsmen's Migratory Bird Center_
(http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/ExperienceWildlifeSubHomePage/where_to_viewwildlifelandingpage/Sportsmens
MigratoryBirdCenter/tabid/17599/Default.aspx)   and the Black Swamp Bird
Observatory (BSBO).  _www.bsbobird.org_ (http://www.bsbobird.org/)

The show aired for the first time last Tuesday night, and apparently A LOT
of people watched it.  If you missed the program and you'd like to see  it, we
will be viewing the episode at next month's BSBO Bird Study on Thursday,
September 13th, at 7:00 pm.  BSBO Bird Study is a free program open to the
public.

If you'd like to learn more about the West Sister Island project, pick up
the latest issue of Bird Watcher's Digest.  Ours arrived this  past week, and
much to my surprise, my husband's column covered the trip to West  Sister.  Kenn
was along that day (because I begged him to go) but he  stayed low profile.
The producer of the show was really disappointed when  he found out (at the end
of the day) who Kenn was.  He said he would have  loved to have worked him
into the show.  But, that's Kenn!  He  purposely stayed out of the picture to
avoid stealing the spotlight.  My  family and friends all spotted him though!
If you see the episode again,  pay close attention to the handsome man holding
the ladder, wearing a blue shirt  and dark sunglasses, and sporting a huge
pile of heron vomit on his  sleeve!  If you listen closely, you can hear him say,
"That's the inside  stuff."

If you aren't a Bird Watcher's Digest subscriber....You should  be!  It's a
great magazine published right here in Ohio by the amazing  Thompson family.
Pick up the September/October issue and read Kenn's  article.  He captures the
West Sister Island experience  perfectly.   Oh...and the rest of the magazine
is pretty great  too!!    Visit the BSBO website to learn more about how you
can  support the observatory when you subscribe to this fabulous magazine!

Thanks again everyone,

Kim Kaufman
Black Swamp Bird Observatory