OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:14:43 -0700
On Tuesday 10/6 I hit a couple lakes in E Mahoning Co.  Evans L. was slow, but had wood duck, greater yellowlegs, gray catbird, and e. towhees.  Pine L. was better, with wood ducks, n. shovelers, green-winged teal, double-crested cormorants, great egret, sharp-shinned hawk, house wren, e. bluebirds, n. mockingbird, yellow-rumped warblers, and swamp sparrow.  Yesterday 10/8 I visited a half-dozen places in Ashtabula and Trumbull Co.  In the early morning I was at Conneaut harbor.  Highlights were 5 CACKLING GEESE (with Canadas in the lagoon, all geese left later in the morning), gadwall, n. pintail, Am. wigeon, n. shoveler, 4 wood ducks, common merganser, 8 pied-billed grebes, 30 double-crested cormorants, great egret, green heron, 2 black-crowned night-herons, bald eagle, Am. coot, 5 black-bellied plovers, Am. golden-plover, dunlins, 3 great black-backed gulls, belted kingfisher, 20 chimney swifts, marsh wren, golden-crowned kinglets, gray catbird,
 Am. pipit, and yellow-rumped warblers.  Next I went to Malek Park, also in Conneaut.  I took a good walk around there, and came up with 20 chimney swifts, e. bluebirds, gray catbird, yellow-rumped warblers, c. yellowthroat, chipping sparrows, savannah sparrow, song sparrows, swamp sparrows, white-throated sparrows, and white-crowned sparrows.  From there I kept going west to Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula for a look at the harbor there.  There was nothing of note there.  Next I visited the big pond beside the Ashtabula Mall on Rte. 20 near the Rte. 11 intersection.  This pond has been remarkably reliable for waterfowl during migration, and yesterday held wood duck, 3 ring-necked ducks, 18 pied-billed grebes, and Am. coots.  From there I went southwest to Orwell Marsh in Ashtabula Co.  I walked some of the area and found wood duck, Am. black duck, green-winged teal, hooded merganser, sora (kicked it up), tree swallows, and swamp sparrows.  I ended
 the afternoon at Mosquito L/WA in Trumbull Co.  Lots of birds there:  15 Am. black ducks, 10 gadwalls, 100+ Am. wigeon, 50 green-winged teal, pied-billed grebe, double-crested cormorants, 11 great egrets, great blue herons, bald eagle, male n. harrier, Cooper's hawk, only 4 killdeer (no other shorebirds), 15 Bonaparte's gulls, least flycatcher (late), 125 tree swallows, Carolina wren, e. bluebirds, gray catbird, 25 cedar waxwings, and yellow-rumped warblers.  Later, Craig