OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2013 16:33:27 -0500
I spent the morning around this south Columbus park laced with riparian woods, and had a fair movement of common birds early, including flocks of Robins and Blackbirds. I started at the Confluence area and worked my way north to the Borrow Pit area, Heron Pond, Elk Run, and the Oxbow area.  As the weather cleared, the bird activity slowed.  Notables included:

Green-winged Teal - a flock of 30 was feeding in the shallow borrow pit along the bikepath near I-270
Pied-billed grebes - 2 were at Heron Pond, and another was at a develo0pemtn pond west of the park
Red-shouldered Hawk - a bird was calling along the Confluence Trail, a spot where they've wintered before
Gr.Yellowlegs - 1 was around the edge of the borrow pit with all the teal
Sapsucker - only had 1 a juvenile far north along the bikepath near the Oxbow area
Brown Creepers - singles at 3 different areas and 3 at Oxbow, so they are definitely on the move
Winter Wren - singles were at the Confluence area and along the Confluence Trail
Kinglets - still lots of Golden-crowns around, but also had 2 Ruby-crowns
E.Bluebirds - flyover flocks at many areas, the biggest being 14 birds that passed south over the Confluence area.
Hermit Thrush - single bird along the Confluence Trail and another at Oxbow
AmRobins - flocks everywhere, both feeding and flyover; perhaps 500 birds for the morning
Cedar Waxwings - 50 at the Confluence area early, but few after that
AmPipits - single flyovers at several spots; 3 were in the fields north of Heron Pond
HornedLarks - first push, with 6-8 flyovers, in many different spots
Warblers - all Yellow-rumps, though numbers were somewhat down from the past week
Field Sparrows - 2 at Oxbow, and another at Elk Run
Chipping Sparrows - a single was near the Park Headquarters along Watkins Rd
Fox Sparrows - 2 were at the Confluence area, while another 2 were around the Borrow pits area
White-thr.Sparrows - small flocks at many locations, perhaps 120 for the morning
White-cr.Sparrow - 1 bird was along the field edge at Elk Run
Redwings - many flyover flocks in the early morning, totalling perhaps 400 birds
Grackles - not as common as Redwings, with only 50
Finches - only House Finches and Goldfinches, and no great numbers of either.